28 November 2009

Welcome, and a warning

Let me begin with a warning: I'm going to cheat a bit.

Make yourself comfortable; I'll explain. This is not my only blog. I don't want you to get the idea that I'm a one-blog kind of writer -- I don't want you to feel betrayed come the moment when I double-dip and post the same entry here and elsewhere. I want to be up front about this. No broken hearts here. It's not that I'm fickle, it's just that one blog isn't enough. Each one is a different kind of outlet with a different audience.

Frankly I've been down to one active blog for far too long now. Time to liven things up a bit, stretch out a little, feel anonymous again. I like beginnings. They're exciting, fun, full of hints and innuendos about wonderful things to come. Endings have a habit of disappointing people, but beginnings? Beginnings are like crushes on mysterious strangers: they never fail to stir up hopes you'd thought had long been dashed.

Let's hope this blog serves as one ongoing beginning.

A little about me: I'm a writer, a self-styled flâneur, and a student. The order of these things changes depending on who I'm talking to, but for the purposes of this place, I'm a writer first, a watcher of people second, and a student third. This means I won't be complaining about my work here, but I will be writing about things I see, things that inspire me. Occasionally I'll post some fiction. Maybe I'll post an essay (and there I can't promise to avoid overlap with my scholarly interests, but I can promise that my audience, dear reader, is you and not academia). I won't post too many personal details because, and let's be honest, you really don't want to hear about that shit, and I get sick of thinking about it.

Let's make this an escape for both of us. No obligations, no promises, but one little deal: you keep reading, and I'll keep my eyes open, my gears turning, and my fingers typing.

No comments:

Post a Comment